Wednesday 8 July 2015

Festival Ale by Daniel Thwaites (from the Manchester International Festival 2015)

   (If you are holding your Wedding in Lancashire and want to find the right venue, dress or entertainment why not pop along to http://www.iweddingsinlancashire.co.uk or if you want to find out What's On in Lancashire go to http://www.insidelancashire.co.uk)

 This ale has been launched by Daniel Thwaites with the minimum of fuss (judging by how little can be found out about it)

I was with "Our Peg und Brid" (wife and child), having a leisurely stroll around the Manchester International Festival outside the Town Hall, when mysteriously, and quite against my will, I was drawn to the bar.

Mouth suddenly felt parched as the Sahara, I coughed up the £3.80 and plumbed for something which I'd not seen before: the Daniel Thwaites "Festival Ale" 3.8%

Of the Pale Ale variety with a clear bright coppery colour, it had a surprising low carbonation which nevertheless foams pleasantly.  I gave it a quick nose, and was surprised again with a distinct fruity aroma.

Next to tasting: first impressions were WARM!!!  I'd been served a warm beer from the pump!  Couldn't believe it!!  At first, it disappointed with the warmth and a noticeable "Boddingtons" character...  Very Bitter .... and WARM!!!  However, unlike "Boddies" it wasn't in the least bit creamy.

Anyway, not one to jettison beers lightly (and finding that the water at the Festival costs nearly as much as the beer!!!) I decided to press on and attempt to sooth my Sahara with this warm pint.

As I supped, I was surprised again as the less obvious charms of the beer gradually became apparent: somehow the brewers had found the intersection where peach meets apricot.  The fruity sweetness, however was ably counterbalanced by a steely, bitter edge.  The more I supped the the more enjoyed it as the beer cooled down(!)  The sweetness of peach and apricot never overpowered or defined the pint and so whilst a seam of fruity sweetness is the beers controlling factor, it is constantly undercut by the bitter edge.

At the end of the pint I'd been won over:  "Festival Ale" won't be for everyone but if you are intrigued by the idea of a fruity Pale Ale it is certainly worth a try, if only for an beer with a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment