Tuesday 28 July 2015

Rolling Maul by Snaggletooth @ The Fort Arms, Clayton Le Moors

 (If you are holding your Wedding in Lancashire and want to find the right venue, dress or entertainment why not pop along to http://www.iweddingsinlancashire.co.uk or if you want to find out What's On in Lancashire go to http://www.insidelancashire.co.uk)

I've just been pounding at my keyboard for the last half and hour trying to get this blog thingy to start typing but instead my computer decided to do some weird freeze thing and steadfastly refused to type...  When did life get so dependent on the whims and machinations of computers?

Too often we have sacrificed the simple charms of a pint and a good pub atmosphere for the fascist diktats of the humourless mechanical gestapo...  anyway enough about the European Union!

 Yesterday I escaped from the lure of my electronic gadgets to search out more traditional charms and so made my way to the Fort Arms in Clayton Le Moors on a soaking, wet night.  I arrived miserable and bedraggled with my trousers clinging to my thighs like two overcooked cabbage leaves.

I received a really warm welcome which really cheered me so I put my buzzing mobile to one side and concentrated on the important stuff - which beer to drink.  Fortunately, the pub specializes in Real Ale and helps support our thriving local micro brewers

Aided by the charming and knowledgeable landlady, I chose the interestingly named "Rolling Maul" by Darwen producer, Snaggletooth (great name, named after their dog), which is a Pale Ale of an  4.1%  A reddish amber in colour, the nose is quite hoppy.  A medium carbonation gives a lovely silky smooth feel on the mouth.  There is a faint sweetness to the taste and a profound lack of bitterness which I found quite startling, as often these northern pale ales delight in giving that sharp metallic stab, almost like a signature tune.   

The brewers say that they have "late hopped" the beer with Centennial hops which should give it a citrus aroma.  I didn't get that, just that the scent is "hoppy" (maybe an imminent cold was on the way)

  The beer was served cool, not cold which allowed the taste buds to grapple with a supple malty caramel sweetness that made itself know without shouting for attention. 

If you find many beers too bitter for you then this is an ale for you.  It makes for uncomplex easy drinking but for those who prefer their beer with "bite" this "Rolling Maul" only gives a warm, pleasant lick!


No comments:

Post a Comment